Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Coordinator – Sparrows Pt, MD.
Posted on May 17, 2023
ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY (EHS) COORDINATOR
Join Riggs Distler & Company, Inc. a leader in the construction industry with over a century of service supporting America’s most important infrastructure projects in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. Riggs Distler has a reputation as an employer of choice in the industry and promotes a safe, exciting, and team-oriented work environment, empowering people to grow and evolve with our business.
As the EHS Coordinator, you will plan, coordinate, and execute on daily Environmental, Health and Safety initiatives to ensure safe, complete, and timely compliance for an individual project that equates to enhanced safety for the team. This position is located on-site at the port in Sparrows Point, MD.
- Competitive Compensation Package
- Paid Time Off
- Company sponsored Healthcare Plan including Medical, Dental & Vision Coverage
- HSA Account with Company Contribution
- 401k Retirement Plan with Company Match
- Profit Sharing
- Accident & Critical Illness Insurance
- Student Loan Payment & 529 College Saving Program
- Company Paid:
- Life & AD&D Insurance
- Short-Term & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Identity Theft Protection
- Employee Assistance Program
- Participates in the pre-job planning process, assisting the Project Team and EHS Manager in the development of project specific Environmental, Health and Safety Plans to ensure a safe work environment
- Assists in the audit of office, project, and work location to ensure industry specific safe work standards are being followed according to guidelines
- Coordinates investigations when unsafe acts or incidents occur to ensure proper handling techniques and corrective actions are imposed to minimize ongoing risk
- Distributes the appropriate EHS equipment, information, etc. to the team to protect the Environmental, Health and Safety of all employees following specific guidelines
- Facilitates basic training and completes/delivers training documents, EHS forms and other records to the manager for final validation of accuracy and timely distribution/filing of materials
- Assists manager with regulatory research based on the project, equipment, chemicals, or other situations to ensure that appropriate Environmental, Health and Safety precautions are in place to minimize risk
- Identifies environmental hazards on the job and reports issues to the manager to ensure they are handled and disposed of properly
- Coordinates Substance Abuse testing at the appropriate intervals (new hires, random, post-incident, suspicion) to ensure compliance with Environmental, Health and Safety regulations
Education, Skills, Experience Needed:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, EHS or related field preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- 3 to 5 years of experience in an Environmental, Health and Safety role within a construction, utility, or similar field
- First Aid, CPR, AED training completion preferred, will train otherwise. OSHA 500 preferred but not required.
- Obtain Certified Utility Safety Professional (CUSP) certification after 3 years of service
- Basic research, planning, analyzing, organization, prioritization, and execution skills required; basic forward-thinking, problem-solving, follow-up, and good time management skills; demonstrates ability to follow through on open items
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and other relevant software programs
- Solid verbal and written communication skills; able to present and train others
- Basic customer-focus and interpersonal skills to communicate expectations; able to work with all levels both inside and outside the organization. Requires a strong work ethic and a high value system focused on quality, safety, and accuracy; able to work independently; basic influencing and collaboration skills; demonstrates a sense of urgency to get things done
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, climb, crouch, reach, push, pull and frequently lift and carry items up to 50lbs.
This job description is subject to change at any time. It reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and does not exclude or restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Riggs Distler & Company, Inc. will provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, gender, genetic information, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by federal, state or local law. Riggs Distler & Company, Inc. will provide reasonable accommodations to allow an applicant to participate in the hiring process (e.g., accommodations for a test or job interview) if so requested
"*" indicates required fields